An industry pain
Today it is not possible to perform direct firefighting in a burning container at heights. The crew does not stand a real chance of fighting the container fire efficiently.
Container fires both at deck level and below deck level are inefficiently fought today and puts the crew in a very dangerous situation.
If a container fire is not addressed fast and efficiently it will spread quickly and it can lead to significant human – and financial costs.
The Danish Maritime Accident Investigation Board, case number: 2013010519
The HydroPen System makes it possible to directly extinguish a container fire at heights, at deck & below deck on board a cargo vessel. No other solution can do that.
The HydroPen will perform a fully automatically water-based penetration of the container door and afterwards perform direct firefighting inside the container.
With a minimum of manual work the HydroPen will either be hoisted to the burning container at heights or deployed on the critical container within reach of a man.
The HydroPen System will improve the safety for the crew, the cargo & the ship, and it will help the ship owner avoid significant fire related costs.
The HydroPen System – Fighting container fires smarter and more efficiently than ever seen before.
The HydroPen is a new innovative and ground-breaking technology that can fight container fires on board container ships. The HydroPen is a water-based drilling machine. It uses only water pressure from the fire main to drill through a standard steel container door.
Container firefighting at heights
Container firefighting at deck level
The HydroPen & Lift
To perform direct firefighting at height the HydroPen must be used together with the telescopic lift.
The combination of the HydroPen and the lift enables the ground-breaking feature of reaching containers at fire at heights and to fully automatically extinguish the fire inside the burning container with direct firefighting as soon as it has been mounted on the container door.
How does it work?
- Locate the area with the burning container.
- Hoist the telescopic lift to the specific burning container by attaching the lift to the locking bars.
- Winch the HydroPen to the end of the telescopic lift and turn on the water supply from the fire main.
- The water pressure flows into a hydrodynamic turbine, which rotates and drives the automatic drilling process.
- A hole saw and a nozzle at the end of the HydroPen will penetrate the container.
Auto change & extinguishing
- Once the hole saw and nozzle enter the container, the HydroPen automatically changes mode, shutting off the water supply to the turbine and instead guides the water through the nozzle to spray inside the burning container and creates immediate firefighting.
The concept in real-life
What is the HydroPen System?
The concept in real-life
What is the HydroPen System?
The HydroPen & HydroLock
- Performing direct container firefighting at deck the HydroPen must be used with the HydroLock.
- The HydroLock is an add-on device which is easily clicked on to the HydroPen.
- When the HydroLock is clicked on the crew member can walk towards the burning container and deploy the HydroPen on the container by mounting it on the locking bar.
- The crew man can walk away from the dangerous situation and turn on the water from the fire main system, which will initiate the automatic firefighting.
The HydroPen & Foam
The HydroPen will also be able to work together with foam.
- Use the HydroPen normally to drill through the container by using water pressure
- When the container has been penetrated, supply the fire hose with foam to create a spray of foam inside the container through the HydroPen
- Supplying the HydroPen with foam will make it capable of fighting container fires, which do not respond well to water
- Using foam together with the HydroPen the efficiency in fighting Class A fires will increase significantly.
- With foam the HydroPen can also be used on low-flashpoint Class B Flammable Liquid fires
Fully automated penetration and fire extinguishing
Automatically changes function from penetration mode to fire extinguishing mode and kills the fire inside the burning container.
The HydroPen can operate both at heights & on reachable containers
The telescopic lift makes it possible to reach a burning container at heights. The HydroLock enables firefighting in containers at deck level and below deck.
100% fire main powered - no electricity required &
Water pressure from the already existing fire main system on board vessels create a fast penetration and flow rate.
Simple to operate and mount on the critical container
The mounting process relies only on manpower. It requires little training and low maintenance. The HydroPen System weighs only 9 kilograms.
Protects the crew, the cargo & the ship
The crew can retreat to safety immediately after mounting the Hydropen System, which enables them to keep at a safe distance. It can be used on any ISO shipping container.
Avoidance of significant cost impact - up to $2 million
Minimizes spread of fire to other containers and the need for deviation from the route. Water throw length reaches a full 40 ft container.
The HydroPen is Type Approved as a “water mist lance” for marine use on board seagoing vessels according to SOLAS Resolution MSC 365(93) 10.7. by DIFT – Danish Institute of Fire Technology – which is a recognized test laboratory by IMO and on behalf of the Danish Maritime Authority.
The technology and combination of work processes in the HydroPen System is patent pending according to the international Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) administrated by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Are you interested?
Please enter your e-mail and phone number below, and we’ll contact you directly within 24 hours with more information.
Contact VIKING Life-Saving Equipment
VIKING is our global sales & distribution partner
Product Manager Trade
Product Mgmt & New Building Director
Jesper Rosenfeldt Hansen
+45 6169 8177
+45 4042 4168
General inquiries and information
Pier47, Langelinie Allé 47, 2100 Copenhagen
Rosenby Engineering - Administration
Development & workshop
Bautavej 1A 8210 Aarhus V
Rosenby Engineering - Development & Workshop
Board of directors
Jesper Rosenfelt Hansen
Steen Ulf Jensen
Member of the board
About the company & idea
Rosenby Engineering develops high-quality solutions for complex problems in the marine industry. The company has obtained valuable knowledge and insight from the founder’s maritime careers on a variety of maritime positions and ship types. This has driven Rosenby Engineering to develop and engineer The HydroPen System, which is safe and easy to use for all crew members in emergency situations.
The purpose of Rosenby Engineering is to improve container fire safety and conquer the global container fire equipment market. The company aims to decrease risk to personnel, ship, cargo and the environment by solving complex problems with simple technologies.
Rosenby Engineering was founded in 2016. The daily operations are carried out by Jesper Rosenfeldt Hansen and Martin Winkel.
In 2017 Rosenby Engineering won the elite accelerator program for hardware start-ups “Danish Tech Challenge”, which is hosted by DTU Science Park and Industriens Fond. The company was tested on a variety of different topics to ensure that the company had what it takes to become successful in the future. Finally, each of the participating companies was evaluated by a professional jury and Rosenby Engineering was rewarded with the first place and DKK 500.000, which was handed over by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark.
We want to rethink, optimize and revolutionize the global fire safety within the shipping container industry.
Our technology will ensure that you will be able to access all shipping containers on land, in open water and stacked at heights. Our technology will be the preferred and most widely used method to fight fires in shipping containers worldwide.